Wednesday, October 28, 2009

~ Something bad will happen ~

Third graders, in some respects, are easier than fifth graders. An obvious statement, perhaps, but I'm continually finding new ways that this is true.

For several years, I have done away with an established system of consequences. There's no checkmark, no first getting five minutes of recess taken, then ten, etc. I find it's much more effective to ask the child what they think should happen to them, or just tell them if they don't stop,

something bad will happen.

I've used that vaguely threatening phrase for several years, but I'm finding it to be much more effective with third graders because of conversations like this one, with J. On our way back from the Kindergarten bake sale, I asked students to walk quietly, single file, no voices. As usual. And then, I used my vaguely threatening phrase, "If you decide to talk, you can be sure something bad will happen." Which was when J piped up, "Like getting our snack taken away, Mrs. N?"

I almost thanked him for giving me his consequence, and had to keep myself from laughing out loud. "That would be really bad, wouldn't it J?"

Fifth graders usually know when to shut up, so you don't get these kinds of insights into exactly what they don't want to have happen.

I think they might be growing on me...

No comments: