Tuesday, October 27, 2009

~Perspective~

While out of my room so the student teacher could teach without students interrupting to ask me a question, I escaped to the computer lab. As I sat there, typing out a Social Studies outline for the year, a parapro from the autistic room came in with a student.

I think they were learning verbs, because she had a set of cards that she showed him and he'd have to say, "The boy is running" or swimming or jumping.

From the get-go, this student was agitated. "No school!" he kept blurting. She'd patiently reply, "Yes, school."

After nearly every card he completed, his first request was, "New cards, please!" with increasing urgency. She continued to patiently ignore him and give him the next card.

In my most frustrating day, I have less repetition and agitation to deal with than she did in the fifteen minutes she worked with him. Yet I still find myself losing my patience with kids when I've had to remind them again how to add, or subtract with borrowing.

What a reminder to take a deep breath and remember the patience God has with me.

No comments: