Friday, February 8, 2008

Caught passing notes

We've probably all done it at some point in the past...passed notes when the teacher's back was turned. I know I'm guilty. The experience from the other side of the desk is a little different...and a whole lot more entertaining as well.

My partner teacher saw me in the hall at recess and said, "I've got a juicy one! They turned four shades of red when I told them to put it on my desk!" My response? "Oooh! Bring it over and let's read it together!" It was indeed a good one. In the note, which was roughly the size of Arkansas...apparently 5th grade girls have yet to master the art of sneaky note passing, were the plots of several fifth grade girls to sneak off to an unsupervised area of the playground, post lookouts, and kiss their boyfriends. Not so much an original idea; this has been tried before. And so my partner teacher got the delightful job of walking these girls through exactly what happened to the last group of girls who tried this.

But my favorite note story of this year, and most likely of many years to come, happened in the classroom next door to mine while all of us teachers were at a meeting. One of the secretaries interupted our meeting to tell us that Mrs. X's sub needed her back in her classroom n-o-w. Arriving in her classroom, she found that the problem was boys passing notes. The reason she had been summoned was because one boy, when asked to hand the note to the substitute teacher, shoved it in his mouth and ate it. Ate it!

Just in case we didn't already feel like the Queens of Crazyland, I guess...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember passing any notes. Seriously. Well, maybe writing them in one class and passing them off in the hall between classes. Um, or remember writing in each other's journals in Mrs. Green's class in jr. high? I wonder if I still have some of those or not....