Friday, February 22, 2008

Where the boys are

They're in my classroom....and they're cracking me up.

I had my hair highlighted last night, and while I expected my partner teacher (a woman) to notice and comment, I didn't expect the reaction I got from my class.

While the student teacher greeted them at the door, I sat at my desk grading papers. I saw one of my boys start walking toward me and then stop and look, and then get a really odd look on his face, as though I was sitting there with a pet monkey on my lap.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Your hair! You dyed it!" he said, like I had just told him I ate worm chowder for breakfast.

"You noticed, E. I'm so impressed! You get bonus points today."

The conversational buzz which followed in my room was pretty amusing...it began with E telling a few people, "She dyed her hair!", contained several frightened sounding "AH!"s in the middle, and ended with the boy who had been actually doing his morning work instead of listening to the conversation saying, "Highlights? Highlights of what?" and the girl who sits next to him saying, "In her hair, N! Duh!"

Add in E. coming back to my desk a few minutes later to ask a question, hiding behind his notebook as though he can't face me, and the morning is off to a smile-cracking start! :o) Maybe there's hope for this group yet...

No comments: