Thursday, January 13, 2011

~ The Storyteller ~

My day has started, for several years, by greeting each student coming in the door with a handshake and a "Good Morning!" This year, the tradition is a little different, because of R. Now my morning goes something like this.

"Good Morning, A."

"Good Morning, D."

"Good Morning, R."

"Mrs. N...did you know that little kids run really fast in bare feet? Well, they can....."
or
"Mrs. N...did you know that I left my jacket in my locker? I did, and I think I need it because, you see, ......."
or
"Mrs. N...you know I got a remote control helicopter for Christmas? And I didn't even have it a week and the charger broke. So I had to....."
or
"Mrs. N, which do you think is more dangerous, getting thrown from a dirtbike or squashed by a snowmobile? I'd have to say, the snowmobile 'cause you see....."
or
"Mrs. N, did you know that every time I play this computer game I forget my password? But then I...."

This from the boy whose parents never show up for conferences, whose pants have been six inches too short for a couple of months and no one at home seems to have noticed. He's my neediest one, and his stories are nearly always an interruption when I'm working on something else. I have to fight the urge to return him to his seat, to ask him if there's any point in what he's telling me. And sometimes I have to do that. But more often it's important for me to listen, to let him know that he is important enough to have my attention. More than that, I see the rest of the class watching how I respond to him. So I make the effort to listen, to model for them that everyone is important and valued in this classroom. Some days I manage it, but some days, just hearing "Mrs. N, did you know.....?" sets my teeth on edge. Patience, Lord, patience, please.

No comments: