Wednesday, January 26, 2011

~ Always something new ~

C is the macho guy in our class: never admits to needing help, too cool to do his work, or get excited about anything in school. So it was a little strange when today on my way back to the room after lunch I met a visibly upset C in the hall.

"You're heading the wrong way," I said, "What's going on??"

"S was calling me names. Even when I told him to stop, he kept going and I'm seriously gonna punch him if he doesn't stop."

"Names like what?"

After a long pause, "He keeps calling me a rapist."

So while the rest of the class did busy work, the better part of my afternoon was spent interviewing witnesses, determining that S really did call C a rapist for no apparent reason, forcing S to have what was hopefully the most uncomfortable conversation of his life so far when he had to explain to me exactly what a rapist is, and writing out detention forms.

During this indoor-recess, too-cooped-up time of year, it's always something!

No comments: