Tuesday, December 7, 2010

~ A Good Surprise ~

Today started with a bad surprise. I'm here early every day, frantically trying to catch up on grading papers, and today was no exception. However, in the middle of grading a set of math papers, the principal came on the P.A. system. He sounded flustered as he asked any student in the hallway to take their backpacks and go to the cafeteria. I didn't think much of it - students who get dropped off in the morning are supposed to wait in the cafeteria, and I thought they were cracking down on students roaming the halls illegally.



About three minutes later, however, the P.A. system beeped again. It was the principal again, sounding a little more flustered. "Teachers, your students are being held on the buses, and you may want to grab your coats and wait outside."

After sitting outside for half an hour, we came back in and learned that a large backup battery in a computer lab had overheated and started to meltdown, producing a terrible sulfuric smell that enveloped the whole building. The fire department was called, and once it became clear that no one was in danger, they cleaned the smell out, replaced the battery, and let us back in the building.

I was dreading going back in. I was lining up backup plans (i.e. a movie) in case the kids couldn't settle down and work after the excitement and confusion. But they surprised me. They came in, got their things out, and went to work. I suggested they work on some Christmas word searches I gave them last week, but most of them opted to work on the writing project that's due this week instead.

Amazingly good surprise to end a morning that began with a bad surprise, leaving me so thankful for this group of kids once again.

No comments: