Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Belief and Practice

Today I pulled out my writing conference notebook. This is where I take little notes on each of my students as a writer, what I've noticed they do well, and what writing skills and styles they still need my help with.

I believe that conferencing with each child is key to improving them as writers. I believe that writing can not be taught using whole group instruction alone, and I believe that in order to know which skills my students need, I, as a teacher, need to be very connected to what they're doing as writers. I need to know what they're writing about, how they're writing, and what they struggle with. And I can't do that without actually sitting down with them and chatting about their writing.

That's what I believe.

Then there's my actual practice: a semi-dusty conference notebook, where the last time I had a writing conference with a kid was October 9th. Yeesh. There's no excuse for that. None at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am with you on this! I have to figure out a way to get the conferences done more regularly. I have started collecting notebooks and making comments like I would if we were having a conference, but it isn't the same. I just can't seem to do the conferences AND keep the rowdy kids on task at the same time.

I am glad you agree with me re: Brisingr. I loved it and hated it all at once.