Wednesday, April 23, 2008

God grant me the serenity...

After...
...being called a "stupid, gay, lesbian pervert"...
...being grabbed at, pushed, elbowed, and scratched...
...writing a barely legible detention form with a badly shaking hand...
...then trying to focus and get organized for a staff development meeting which I need to help run...
...going back and forth down the hall about 6 times because I repeatedly forgot something in my room...
...and finally, running into the doorjam of my room because I was in a hurry trying to finish a project and talk to three students at the same time.

After all of that, the other very naughty child in my room (not the one who thinks I'm a perv) observes me walking into the door and asks "What is wrong with you today?"
I sigh and ask, "Honey, did you ever have one of those days?"

...long silence...

"You mean one of those days? Like when nothing ever goes right?"

I say, "Exactly. One of those days when nothing ever goes right."

"Only like every single day of my life!!! Oh, man, that's like every day for me! I didn't know teachers had those kind of days, too. But really, not every day is like that, Miss L."

Ah, perspective. And from a most surprising source.
Cliche, but true - God doesn't give us any more than we can handle.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What in the world happened?

Gina said...

In a nutshell:
1. Bad child commences with disruptive behavior.
2. I pat bad child's shoulder each time disruptive behavior happens.
3. Child calls me nasty names in front of the rest of my students.
4. I remove child from room, ask child to go to office. Child refuses.
5. I physically move said child to the office, being verbally and physically harassed the whole way.
6. Went home, drank a glass of wine, and ate ice cream. :o)

the Pharmer's Wife said...

I particularly like step six. :)

Josephine said...

Ditto, except without the wine. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow. I know how you feel. I'm going to favorite you on my blog. I've been going through quite a bit. Then when we get them to the office, they blame US teachers for not having good enough classroom management. Whatever.
www.ChoirTeacherBlues.blogspot.com