Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Falling in love

My student teacher is at a job fair today, so I'm "subbing" for him. Reading is the first subject of the day, and just happens to be my favorite. I, along with the other teachers in my grade level, scrapped the traditional reading program this year in favor of something new: reader's workshop. Instead of assigning a certain number of pages in a certain book for kids to read, students choose thier own books. The only requirements are the books have to be in their reading level, and something they're interested in. I teach reading skills using models from the books I'm reading, then the students get to practice those skills using their own books.

I have been amazed at the results. Gone are the groans of, "I have to read for how long?" And my kids' reading levels have soared - some of them have gone up almost two grade levels this year. That's huge! I don't know what genius thought up this approach to reading, but I am very grateful.

Among the many things I love about this new approach to reading, the ones that are standing out to me today are:

~ I love the hush in my room during this hour. Kids are at their desks, or curled up on a cushion, and the only sounds are the occasional sniffle left over from winter colds and the flutter of pages turning.
~ I love it when a kid who already loves to read finds an author he absolutely adores and begs me to be allowed to read one of that author's books, even though it's a little below his reading level.
~ I love it when a kid who hates to read falls in love with an author and comes to school bursting to tell me about the latest book he's read.
~ I love it when I see a kid rereading one of the books we've read as a class because it's just such a good story, he has to read it again for himself.
~ I love it when I call a kid over to talk with me about his book, and he says, "Wait, wait! I just have to finish this sentence! Aw, Miss L - you always stop me right when I'm at the best part!"

No comments: