Friday, December 7, 2007

I miss them :o(

My group of kids from last year, that is. I miss them. A lot. And I try not to think about it that much, since it makes me like these kids less, but every once in a while, something happens to make me think about them, miss them, and want them back.

This morning another fifth grader from a different room handed me a folded piece of notebook paper with my name on it. It was from his older sister, who was in my class last year, inviting me to come to her Middle School Band Concert. She listed all the kids from last year and what instrument they play...such great kids, and they didn't do the normal 6th grade thing, which is to forget your 5th grade teacher even existed.

So of course, I'm going...I actually had it on my calendar already. And while missing last year's group possibly causes me to like this group less, it also helps me get through the day, knowing that somewhere in my future, there could be another group of kids like that one. Kids who get my lame jokes, name my plants...kids I can be myself with. They remind me that there's still hope.

2 comments:

jason said...

Gina you are a great teacher. The reason this group of kids is so much harder just might be cause they( or some of them ) need you more. Besides things arn't always they way they seem i'm sure you are getting through to them. :)

Anonymous said...

That's a bummer, Gina. But wow, what a neat group of kids you must have had last year for them to still want to interact with you! And you know that for many of them, they will likely always remember you fondly, like we do for our favorite elementary teachers. That's a pretty special privilege.