Thursday, February 17, 2011

~ The Little Things ~

Once a month, our school honors kids who have shown respect or friendliness for that month. Two kids from each class are honored at an assembly and the next week, they're given a special lunch to celebrate, as well. Each month, one teacher from each grade level is invited to join the kids during their special lunch, and this month...you guessed it...it was my turn.

I was not looking forward to cafeteria pizza, although I was pleasantly surprised to find a huge assortment of fresh fruit, and a really yummy chocolate and coconut filled cookie for dessert. I was also not looking forward to being in the cafeteria during fifth grade lunch. The lunch ladies routinely call the fifth grade teachers to tell us how loud, noisy, and bad the kids are during lunch. But it truly wasn't as noisy as I thought it would be.

The highlight of my lunch came about two minutes in. The pizza came directly out of the oven and was served to us too hot to eat. A couple of the girls tried to pick it up, but put it back down right away. I decided to open my fork and knife to cut my pizza. The girls sitting around me all gasped.

"Where did you get that fork?" they asked.

I showed them the baggie with the plastic fork and knife, and soon they were all tearing into them, cutting their pizza into bite sized pizzas. "We only get sporks in the cafeteria," they told me, "it's so cool that we get real forks!"

Sometimes it's the little things we take for granted.

No comments: