Friday, May 22, 2009

~ To the Rescue! ~

Yesterday, it was Bitsy Bender. Today it's a bunch of lilacs. Saving my day, that is.

Yesterday was the first annual "NutriWalk" at our school. Kids walk about a mile, and then get healthy snacks and water as a gym activity. This involves a)riding a bus to the park, b)walking a mile and c)walking back to school, all of which are things that send my autistic one into fits of panic. Especially the bus. All I heard, all morning long, was that busses are bad, they can tip over, they're loud, they're too bouncy. And, oh, by the way, he hates busses.


We put his earplugs in, and since he's destroyed all his other little fidgety items, I frantically searched my desk for something he could fiddle with on the bus ride. And I found this:

Bitsy Bender. Given to me ages ago by a good friend. Bitsy was contorted, rocketed, magneted, and flipped all the way to the park. And not even one small, "Busses are evil," comment was heard. He was so calm when he got off the bus, he even completed the mile walk and the walk back to school without complaining. Truly, miracles do still happen.
Bitsy Bender saves the day.
And today, her superhuman counterpoint is.....a vase of lilacs. Stranger things have happened, I suppose.
It starts with what felt like a Monday morning. I didn't sleep well, I made the coffee too weak, I had to change my white shirt after a muddy dog decided to show love by jumping on me, I couldn't find my favorite jacket even after checking all the normal places, and I finally straggled into school thirty minutes later than I wanted to be.
Which is when A. showed up with a vase full of lilacs and this heart-warming statement, "Mrs. N, my mom wants me to give you these 'cause she doesn't like this vase anymore."
Ah, fifth graders. They still know how to make my day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I maintain "you're the best!"
mom